The ANU Archives holds a wide range of photographs in both the University Archvies and the Noel Butlin Archives Centre.
The University Archives has photographs of many ANU staff including Vice-Chancellors, administrators, researchers and some students. There are also photographs showing the development of the ANU campus from paddocks to its current state including photographs showing different stages of the construction of University buildings.
The Noel Butlin Archives Centre holds many photographs of business activities of Australian companies and of trade union parades, protests and documentation of working conditions.
Some of the larger collections include:
- Intercolonial Investment and Land Building Company photographs of Western Australia, 1890-1902
- Tooth and Company photographs on 'yellow cards' for individual NSW hotels, 1920s-1970s (and some 19th century images)
- CSR Limited photographs of the sugar industry in Australia and Fiji
- Burns, Philp and Company photographs of their operations in the Pacific
- Photographs of Australian Council of Trade Union officials and activities
- Waterside Workers' Federation photographs of union officials, protests and working conditions
Some photographs have been digitised and are available to view in the Open Research repository.
Check our metadata guidelines for items. If you require digital copies of photographs for your research or for commercial use please refer to our Copying records page.